Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ontario trillium benefit and GST/HST credit for a new immigrant

Hi everyone,

I am a new immigrant to has established his permanent residence in Canada in September 2019. I had no income in after I became a PR in Canada.

Now when I am trying to file my income tax return, my return is obviously 0 but for some reason I am getting an estimated amount of $626 for Ontario trillium benefit (sales tax) and I am getting an estimated GST/HST credit in the amount of $525

Now, I don't want any credits if I am not supposed to receive them. I checked all questions related to these credits, making sure that I didn't make a mistake.

Everywhere I practically entered "0" but I am still getting these credits. I was wondering if it's correct.

1 Reply

Ontario trillium benefit and GST/HST credit for a new immigrant

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

Yes, you can receive GST/HST credits and trillium benefits

This credit is available to all new immigrants, including temporary workers and international students, as of the date of their arrival in Canada. 

If you apply for GST/HST credit in Ontario, you are also eligible for the Ontario Trillium Benefit.

For more information, please click on the link below

What Is the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

What is the GST/HST credit and how do I apply for it?

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.