Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UKay
Level 1

Balance Due too high

Hi there,

My spouse had a part time job and I filled out his T4 manually; that alone caused an increase in balance owing for $1,222 although his pay slips show that his federal tax was deducted on each and every slip! After that, adding the tips made throughout the year increased the balance owing even more to $3,000

We're in doubt that something might be wrong to get to such a high amount in taxes due. Please advise.

Thank you,

2 Replies

Balance Due too high

As we cannot see your individual tax situation, it's difficult in this forum to provide you with an answer to your question. 

There may be many reasons why your spouse has a large balance due, even though there was tax being deducted from each paycheque. What you need to look at is the total income made by your spouse, including the tips which do not have tax withheld. Then compare that with the tax that has been withheld.

You must also take into consideration the tax brackets for both Federal and Provincial taxes. TurboTax does guarantee all calculations to be correct, you may want to double-check your entries and see if maybe a keying error has been made. If you look at your Detailed Tax Summary you can get a good idea of the income and tax withheld, as well as see if an entry looks to be incorrect. 

UKay
Level 1

Balance Due too high

Thank you! 

As a matter of fact, I'm filing both of our returns together, hence it makes sense to me if we're hitting a higher bracket with our family income.