Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JW68
Level 1

Unreported, unclaimed RRSP

Hi there, I have 3 years (2015,2016, 2017) unreported and unclaimed RRSP. How can I file those 3 years contribution? If anybody could explain the procedure and the steps of using Turbo tax online filing, it's much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

To report any contributions you may have missed from 2015, 2016 and 2017, CRA requires you to report them on the tax return for each year. To do this, you'll need to make an adjustment to each tax return (2015, 2016, 2017). You are only eligible to ReFile the 2017 year, and that's only if you electronically filed it. This would be the only year you could use TurboTax Online. 

You can use your online CRA My Account and change the returns, otherwise, you will need to print paper copies and mail them to your tax centre.

If you want to use the contributions on your 2019 return, you'll need to specify in your adjustment that you want the contribution to be carried forward. Then once the adjustment is processed and complete, you can deduct it on your 2019 return. 

Sometimes when you use CRA's Auto-Fill service to import your tax slips, these contributions may be in CRA's records and downloaded to your return as a "carried forward contribution" and can be claimed on the current year tax return. 

Please see this information from CRA on completing these adjustments: Need to make a change to your return?

JW68
Level 1

Thanks so much Kim.