Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Line 23600 Federal Net Income when filing taxes for couple

Hi,

It's my first time filing my own and my wife taxes this year. We used to ask someone to do it for us.

My question is during the introduction on filing taxes as couple, it's asking for the federal net income of the spouse (Line 23600). Is this referring to the already filed tax return LAST year? Or we have to ESTIMATE how much would the amount be if we would have to file this CURRENT tax season year? If the latter how can I estimate that and how to compute for it?

Thank you.

Claro

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, the net income needed is from their 2021 tax year. You can estimate it by totaling the income on your spouse's information slips and entering it. Once you have entered their information in their return, you can then come back and edit the net income information in your return. The software will instantly make the corrections needed.

For more information, please review the link below from TurboTax Canada.

How do my spouse and I know what our combined net income is if the other person hasn't done their ta...

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, the net income needed is from their 2021 tax year. You can estimate it by totaling the income on your spouse's information slips and entering it. Once you have entered their information in their return, you can then come back and edit the net income information in your return. The software will instantly make the corrections needed.

For more information, please review the link below from TurboTax Canada.

How do my spouse and I know what our combined net income is if the other person hasn't done their ta...

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.