Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 217 return was not offered/detected by Turbtax when I filed online, resulting in 4759.83 refund denied, anyone experienced same? and what can be done to fix it?

CRA  notice of assessment denied the refund calculated by TurboTax on the basis that Section 217  return must be filed by June 30 after  the year in which eligible income is received. I filed on July 8th 2022, for 2021  tax year. Why did   Turbotax  NOT flag it, and  made me file section 217  return?  Can I appeal it on the basis that Turbotax is at fault  and file an amended return   with CRA  to get the  return  owed?
1 Reply

Section 217 return was not offered/detected by Turbtax when I filed online, resulting in 4759.83 refund denied, anyone experienced same? and what can be done to fix it?

As per CRA: Section 217 return due date

Your 2021 section 217 return must be filed on or before June 30, 2022. However, if you have a balance owing for 2021, you need to pay it on or before April 30, 2022, to avoid interest charges. 

Everyone is responsible to complete their income tax return in time. For those who are late in filing if they owe they will need to pay interest- TurboTax will not deny them from completing their tax return. 

Please note that without filing a Section 217 your refund would be much less. 

You can choose to ReFile your tax return and not include your Section 217 - to make sure of the best course of action- please contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.