Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajdime
Returning Member

Software FIX

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this... I've had CRA question me THREE TIMES for this on TWO years.

I have a sole prop business.

I claim my income properly, shows Gross income Line 162.

BUT after my expenses and use of home credits, the "net" (line 135, line 150 and line 236) is ZERO.

A big fat 0.

But - because it says NOTHING, CRA thinks I (or turbotax) SKIPPED that line.

I just had a discussion with a CRA collection agent (they're still fixing an INCORRECT assessment from a few years back and she was trying to collect on it) - and I sent her my correct return yesterday (mycopy).

CRA has it still in "reassessment in progress" but she doesn't see that.

She tried to insist I had to put my full business income on lines 135,150 and 236 so that it would show my income.

I had to reopen the file and talk to her to make her realize the difference between GROSS and NET and that yes it is actually ZERO (4000 actually but after the use of home, it took that down to 0).

Eesh, I wish they'd have people working there who actually understood the taxes.

Now she actually wants me to fax back my T1 copy with 0 MANUALLY WRITTEN IN.

So... I realize you aren't going to put zeroes through every line that has nothing... but could you PLEASE consider actually allowing the software to PUT a ZERO in those few final lines if it calls for that??

Because to be honest, when I did this return and the year after (same result, it was a bad 2 yrs) - Even TURBOTAX FLAGGED ME that I had "zero income", as one of the warnings, and also on my husband's return, it said his wife was reporting "no income" as a warning.

So if you're going to warn us, perhaps insteaad you could just PROPERLY put ZERO?

(2016 and 2017 were flagged).

To clarify - both the software AND CRA do not like an empty box. Even though Zero means nothing... they don't like it blank. That's my point. PLEASE FIX.

2 Replies

Software FIX

Thanks for your feedback on this!! 

It seems odd the CRA would require you to manually enter a "zero" in a calculated field of the T1 General when they do not actually see this form when you NetFile. You would think by sending a copy of the T2125 - Statement of Business or Professional Activities, the information on that form would be sufficient enough to back up your claim. 

I will forward your feedback to our development team as we are always striving to improve the software. 

ajdime
Returning Member

Software FIX

Thanks for the comments - and yes I agree.

However, this was a return that was mailed (late) - not netfiled.

And quite honestly, because it had an empty balance - YOUR software constantly errored at the end on the review part flagging that I had "no income", as if *I* missed something, yet it was the true calculation that took it to zero (but the software enters nothing).

So... perhaps if it recognizes it as a proper zero balance - it wouldn't flag that I may have an error as if missing income - even though it was no error.

That was the added issue.