Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nabeel
Returning Member

Status changed to Separated as of Apr 2023 and I need to enter spouse income when I am filing my return on Turbotax, however, cannot get info from spouse. May I estimate what the net income?

Hi there, 

My spouse and I separated in April 2023 and I am trying to file my return. However, I am asked to enter my spouse net income and we are no longer in touch with each other, so I know I won't be getting that info from my spouse. I know what my spouse's gross income was in 2022.

Am I able to estimate what the income would be for 2023 and enter that amount in the required field in TurboTax? 

Do I have to enter the income for the entire 2023 or estimate what it would be for the time we were married, i.e. Jan 1, 2023 - April 19, 2023? 

Please advise. 

Thanks.

3 Replies

Status changed to Separated as of Apr 2023 and I need to enter spouse income when I am filing my return on Turbotax, however, cannot get info from spouse. May I estimate what the net income?

Yes, you can enter an estimate of your spouse's income, but if you do, don't take the spousal amount. 

You would need to enter their income for the whole year.

Nabeel
Returning Member

Thank you. So to confirm, I can enter an estimate of what my spouse income was for 2023 and also enter the amount for the full year (and not for the timeframe of Jan 1 - Apr 19, 2023 when we were married before being separated). 

Is that correct? 

Yes. That is correct.