Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4 statement of remuneration paid

My Quebec based employer entered QC in box 10, as my Province of employment. My employer also deducted QPP contributions in Box 17. I am a resident of Ontario, working in Ontario.  I believe my employer should have listed my province of employment in Box 10 as "ON", and entered my CPP deductions in box 16. For comparison purposes, my employer did this correctly on my 2022 T4. Have the CRA rules in this area changed for the 2023 calendar year?

3 Replies

Are you working remotely for the company? If you are working remotely for the Quebec company which does not have a presence in Ontario, the company would usually withhold taxes as if you are living in Quebec. I suggest you to discuss the difference in 2022 and 2023 taxes with your employer.

You would still file your taxes based on your province of residence.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

No, I am not working remotely from my home for the company. I am a sales representative, travelling around my sales territory in the province of Ontario. I was under the assumption that because I am a resident in Ontario, I live in Ontario, and I work in Ontario, my taxes and Canada pension deductions would be based as an Ontario resident. This was my situation in 2022. What would have changed this in 2023? 

@Hofstra0514 Usually, the province of employment (POE) is where the employee reports for work. If you believe your employer has put the wrong information on your T4 slip, you should contact them and request an amended one.