Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPtaxes1308
Returning Member

Tax residency in Canada

I'd like to know the exact date on which I became a tax resident of Canada. I came to Canada on 4th June 2021 and stayed in Canada continuously till 31st Dec 2021. This is more than 183 days in 2021. I however, established significant residential ties to Canada only on 8th July 2021 when I sublet an apartment to stay. I got my own lease on 24th September 2021. I opened my 1st Canadian bank account on the 16th of June 2021 (considered as a secondary residential tie to Canada).

Based on the information above, which date is considered as the start of my tax residency period in Canada? This would help me understand the exact date from which my overseas 2021 employment income becomes taxable in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-mo...

1 Reply

Tax residency in Canada

If you are unsure of the date you became a tax resident, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and confirm it with them.

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency