Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlamsgc
Returning Member

Tuition Waiver? How to enter correctly?

Hi, 

I currently receive a tuition waiver benefit from my wife who works at a local university. As a result of this benefit, I get a significant amount of my tuition for free. I recently received a T4A and a T2202a (full time months in t2202a). I've entered in both. However; for the T4A, in "Box 105: Scholarships etc." I am unsure which box 105 to enter it into, if I enter it in box 25 "Full-time scholarship: also have T2202 with months in Box 25", is this correct? Even though it was a tuition waiver and not a scholarship? Or do I enter this into box "Other scholarships, grants, awards etc: taxable – eligible for $500 exemption" since it is a tuition waiver and not a scholarship as outlined in box 25. My concern is that there is a big difference here in tax return, If I enter it into box 25, I'll receive a large tax return, and if I enter it into the box "other scholarships", I'll have to pay the CRA. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

1 Reply

Tuition Waiver? How to enter correctly?

If you have an amount in your T2202 for full-time months then you will put your tuition amount in the Box 25 as you were going to school full-time. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.