Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SLR
Returning Member

Vacation Expenses

I am an independent health practitioner. I am working with a travel agent partner to put together a health and wellness group retreat in Mexico next year. I am going to Mexico next month in part as a personal vacation but also in part to check out the all-inclusive resort, amenities, and area that we are looking at hosting the retreat. I would never want to take my clients someplace I can't vouch for personally.

I know I can't claim anything for my traveling companion and I wouldn't expect to claim my full expenses as it is also a personal vacation, but am I able to claim at least a portion of my airfare, cab, or hotel expenses since the visit also has a business purpose?   

1 Reply

Vacation Expenses

If you are traveling for a personal vacation and only checking things out once you are there -  be sure to keep all your receipts and proof of what you did on the business side. CRA will most likely ask you for proof. If you can't prove it - don't claim it!

If you travel to a convention, meeting or other business-related events, you can deduct all of your travel expenses, including public transportation fees, hotel costs, and conference fees. You can only deduct 50% of your meals and entertainment.