Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which date should be considered as the date that I "acquired" a pre-construction condo for tax filing purpose? Thank you.

I purchased a pre-construction condo. The occupancy date of the condo is different than the final closing date. I got my home’s key and moved in since last year on the occupancy date, but the legal title is transferred to me at a later time this year on the final closing date. In this case, when I file my personal income tax, should it be considered that I acquired a home in year 2020 or in year 2021?  Thank you.
1 Reply

Which date should be considered as the date that I "acquired" a pre-construction condo for tax filing purpose? Thank you.

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

The first purchaser of a new house is generally considered to have acquired an interest in that house upon entering into an agreement for its construction and saleSo, you have to include the date you have entered into agreement.

Accordingly, the assignment of the agreement to the assignee purchaser is normally considered to be a sale of the first purchaser's interest in the new house for GST/HST purposes. When a person selling an interest in a new house is the builder of the house, the sale is generally taxable.

Please visit the link provided for further clarifications:

CRA:  Assignment of a Purchase and Sale Agreement for a New House or Condominium Unit

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.