kiegels1

I entered all my medical expenses and I expected Turbo tax to make the necessary adjustments…max deduction is 3% of income….Got a warning saying CRA will do an audit. Why

My expenses where very high this year

Credits and deductions

It's just a warning. If you know the information you entered is correct, you can ignore it.

DFair
Returning Member

Credits and deductions

My medical expenses seem to be capping out.  It looks like it has to do with overall deductions?  If I remove a child care expense, my refund continues to go up with each medical expense I enter.  However, when I put the child care expense back in, my medical expense refund reaches a certain amount and won't go higher.  I'm nowhere near the personal deduction limit of $14,389, so why is this happening?

Credits and deductions

Your medical expenses is a non-refundable tax credit. A non-refundable tax credit reduces the amount of tax you pay on your taxable income. You will not get money back from a non-refundable tax credit, but you can use it to offset how much you will pay.
For example; If you determine that you owe $1,000 in personal taxes, but you’re also eligible for $500 in non-refundable credits, you’ll only pay $500. However, if you don’t owe any taxes and you are eligible for $500 in non-refundable tax credits, you will not get a $500 refund.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.