SF68
Returning Member

Filing

I've been following this thread as I've been having this same issue, as my spouse & I separated in September 2022. Based on the advice of @TurboTaxSusan  I changed the marital status to Separated from Single , which now switches the tax owing to a tax refund, but I still get the error message when I do the review. 

I too had called Turbotax two nights in a row & both agents I spoke to went through the steps with me, but couldn't fully understand the problem.  

In the Personal information box, I have switched from Single to Separated, along with the date in September. 

When I do the Review, the Error message comes up that I have to enter my Spouse's information if there was a Marital Change since 2021. When I go to the screen, Marital Status in 2021 it is Common Law & then under the Details of changes in Marital status in 2022, I have put the date in September we separated. Based on the advice of an agent, I had also put Separated under the Details of a change in Marital Status in 2023, but after some consideration, I have removed it, as I don't think it applies.

I have left all information of my spouse blank, but I am still getting the error message. If I ignore it, I cannot Netfile the return. If I enter the information, the amount swings $3k in the other direction & I owe money instead.

If I am missing something that you had done @toast_tax to remove the error message & be able to Netfile the return, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!