Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my husband and I file at the same time but with different versions?

My husband and I have been filing our T4s using turbo tax for many years. I used to purchase the same versions (the standard one) for both, and turbo tax would file them kind of simultaneously. However, I stopped working last year and I will have no income for this year. I still like to file my return, using the free version of the simplest one, in order to keep receiving CCB. Can I file with two different versions but file both together? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No. If you prepare your return together with your spouse, then you will both will be using the same version of the program, and you will both be charged the same price. You can only prepare your returns in different products if you prepare your returns separately. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No. If you prepare your return together with your spouse, then you will both will be using the same version of the program, and you will both be charged the same price. You can only prepare your returns in different products if you prepare your returns separately. 

Thank you very much. Now I got it clear.

This is my biggest pet peeve with turbo tax, I have to pay for the business version because my wife has a home business. It seems real shady of TurboTax to do this. 

Thank you for your feedback. When filling two returns together, the versions need to be the same to allow the software to detect amounts from each return simultaneously and to calculate certain credits for each of  you. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.