Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer crash caused me to lose my turbotax Programs for previous years. How can I get them back? .

3 Replies

Computer crash caused me to lose my turbotax Programs for previous years. How can I get them back? .

Hello John-Heather,  Unfortunately, if you were using the cd/download version of TurboTax, your files were saved directly on your machine. We don't have copies or access to your tax data.  If the computer is not completely dead, you might still be able to retrieve your files. Search on your machine by their file extension. All TurboTax CD/Download files are *.TT<tax_year>. For example, if you’re looking for your tax year 2016 files, search for *.TT16.  Thank you, Mary-Ann

ID 5057897
Returning Member

: Computer crash caused me to lose my turbotax Programs for previous years. How can I get them back? .

You can download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition here:  Choose the 2021 TurboTax edition you need (for Windows). You can download older versions of TurboTax CD/download edition here: Where can I download the CD/download edition of TurboTax?

You will be asked for the licence code when you install the software, so you will need that information.

If you need more help with this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.