Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to claim my teenage son's income as household income on my return?

I'm a single dad with full custody of my teenage son.  He is still a full time student that started a part time job last year.  Do I have to claim his income on my return as household income?  He earned roughly $5,000 last year, when I put his income in my return it had a huge impact on my return.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Anyone who earns income needs to file their own return: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647980

Then, if you're claiming your son as a dependant, you'll need to enter his net income in the dependant section of your return. Since you need your son's net income for your return, you should prepare his return first.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Anyone who earns income needs to file their own return: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647980

Then, if you're claiming your son as a dependant, you'll need to enter his net income in the dependant section of your return. Since you need your son's net income for your return, you should prepare his return first.

I have filed his return already, and when his income was entered, it lowered my return.  Why am I being penalized for having my teenage son earn his own money.  This in my mind is not household income, this is his own money to save for school.
taxnano

Unfortunately that is the rule. I am only here to ask if your son goes to college or university you should be able to transfer up to $5000 of his tuition to yourself. I noticed this was missing from the discussions up till this point assuming he wasn't in high school.