Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joyce7788
Returning Member

First year non-tax resident in 2023, do I need to declare my worldwide income that I earned after leaving CND in Schedule A-Statement of World Income

5 Replies

First year non-tax resident in 2023, do I need to declare my worldwide income that I earned after leaving CND in Schedule A-Statement of World Income

Yes. While you won't be taxed on this income, it's still needed to calculate certain income-based credits. 

joyce7788
Returning Member

But when I emigrated, I consider as non tax resident of Canada, and the income that I earned in the new country will need to be filled in? I tried to filled in and turbo tax said I owed taxes..

Yes, you need to enter your worldwide income, because some credits & benefits are based off of your income. What is likely happening is what is likely happening is when you put in your world income, you are no longer eligible for credits & benefits meant for low income people.

joyce7788
Returning Member

I would like to clarify my question as follows:

1. I left Canada for good in April 2023

2. Since I didn't live in Canada anymore, I guess I am a non resident for tax purposes?

3. I started working in the new country in October 2023

Do I need to declare my income from the new country for this case? Since I am already a non resident since April.

I tried to key in my income from new country and turbo tax calculated and showed that I owned taxes.

Thank you for your help.

Because of the added information, you would be best to clarify your situation and residency along with rules of income declaring with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by contacting them from Outside Canada/U.S. and calling collect Footnote1 1-613-940-8495.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.