Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guile2345
Returning Member

For 2018, I was self employed and my wife did not work. We have some interest that we earned thru investment which I want to put as her income. How would I set this up?

I am using turbo tax self employed 2018 and I specified that my wife did not work but checked the capital gains from investment. However, because we have joint account all of the tax receipts are under my name on the CRA website. Is it still possible to claim it under her name?
1 Reply

For 2018, I was self employed and my wife did not work. We have some interest that we earned thru investment which I want to put as her income. How would I set this up?

According to CRA Attribution rules, what you need to do is determine who contributed to the investment and at what percentage. You report the interest or capital gains earned in the same proportion as the funds that were contributed into the account that earned the income. So only if these funds were contributed 100% by one spouse, would you claim the income on the T3, T5 or T5008 slips 100% in that person's name.

You cannot change the amounts strictly for tax advantages, and you should continue to report it with the same percentages each year, as changing this each year can trigger a review and possible reassessment from CRA.  Generally spouse's claim 50/50.