Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble knowing which 105 box to put student T4A information in. Lots of conflicting help online.

I am having problems with selecting the correct 105 box when entering T4A information. I am using Easy Steps in the downloaded version of TurboTax. If I enter the T4A 105 amount in the first 105 box (Full-time scholarship: also have T2202A with months in Box C) then my return amount goes down. If I enter it in the fifth 105 option (Other taxable scholarships, grants, etc.) my return amount stays the same. While I would love my return amount to not go down, I want to do this properly. I have four T4A forms and a T2202A showing I was a full-time student. One T4A is from the Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities and another is from the Canadian Student Loans Program. I am assuming that both of these T4A slips concern my OSAP loans and grants. The other two T4A slips come from the university. I believe they are due to an internship I had through the university. The university paid my travel expenses to my internship in Japan. The professor who set up the internship wanted me to continue with my internship work upon my return and he paid me for this and that is what I think the last T4A is for. So, the T4A slips involve loans, grants, internship travel and work for a professor. I would love to know where each should be reported.

3 Replies

Having trouble knowing which 105 box to put student T4A information in. Lots of conflicting help online.

Your first 2 slips should be entered under the first item of box 105, Full-time scholarships, and as such are not taxable.

The other two slips, presumably with box 105 entries also, should be entered under the last menu item, as they are taxable.

You are justified in being confused, as the T4A is a messy catch all slip, in high need of simplification, as is much of our ramshackle tax code. Unfortunately, employers and other institutions can often either use this form incorrectly or downright abusively.

Thanks for that answer. That makes sense (loans & grants vs. pay) but I still wonder why my return went down when I entered those first two T4A slips (loans & grants) into the first 105 option (full-time scholarships) as that shoudl have indicated those amounts were not taxable. Would that maybe be corrected when it comes time in Easy Steps to enter the T2202A?

I ended up calling the CRA and found out that the first three can go under 105 Full-time scholarships as even the travel grant was course specific because school work was being done on the trip. The fourth way, which was pay for doing work for a professor, would go under the last 105 option.