Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

RESOLVED: ERR.021

I also received ERR.021 when I tried to access MY Account and download the data from Revenue Canada into Turbotax.   Today, I did get in contact with Technical Services at Revenue Canada.  It is  a very simple fix at their end.  If "web services" in not turned on within MY Account, you will receive the error message 021 and you will not be able to download the data.  I did spend about 30 minutes (once I spoke to a live CRA agent) for them to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.  I tried it while she was on the phone and the transfer took less than a minute.  

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

Thank you for this update. Did the CRA representative fix things on their end or on your computer settings?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Sfalex

2 years I have had this problem with Turbo Tax. I tried every solution they came up with. Moved to other software this year and everything worked fine on that. The software isn’t as nice but at least it works

Sfalex

Use other software instead. That works fine

The turbotax team really needs to read through this thread and have their software development team work on this serious bug - which I admit may have a lot to do with CRA controls.  No matter what I do (and I've tried for years) I cannot download my spouse's data from the CRA (though spouse can log in fine to the CRA site).  Last year logging into CRA beforehand did make it work eventually, but not this year (a new "forbidden" page appears.)

This means that all tax slips for the spouse need to be manually entered - which takes away a big benefit of using Turbotax.  

If so many people have reported it here, imagine how many people are actually experiencing this.

If Intuit wants its business to not be eroded, they should really work on this.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Preparing a tax return for a family member or a friend

Individuals can also use Auto-fill my return on behalf of a family member. If you prepare a tax return for a family member or a friend, you need to:

• be authorized by your family member or friend to use Auto-fill my return on their behalf. You will need a RepID, which you can get through the Represent a Client portal. The RepID identifies you with the CRA.
  • give your RepID to your family member or friend so they can authorize you as their representative through their My Account. For more information on authorizing a representative, go to Authorize or cancel a representative.
  • once you are authorized, you can use Auto-fill my return to access their tax information and file a return for them.

Each individual should enter their own CRA user ID and password to use this service. Auto-fill my return can be used for the current tax filing year plus the previous six tax years.

Are you saying that with the RepID, I have to log in again as myself when trying to download the info my spouse?

These instructions are from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) please contact them at 1-800-959-8281 to clarify the steps to use.

So happy you posted this!  I got through to CRA yesterday morning after an hour on hold being tortured by the dreadful music.  I told the agent what you suggested.  She put me on hold for a minute, came back on and asked me to try TurboTax again.  Voila!  What a relief.  The whole conversation lasted less than 10 minutes.

However this all begs certain questions:

1. Why didn't the TurboTax agent know about this?
  2. Why doesn't the CRA error message point to this as a possibility?
  3. Why would the CRA settings in My Account get changed with no notice to me?

Again, thanks for solving this for me.

You are very welcome. We can only answer for us, which is different clients have different problems depending on their computer or what they have already entered or tried. There is never a one answer fit all. As per the CRA we do not know why they do what they do. Happy to see your problem was solved.