Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use two different TurboTax services for myself and my wife. Hers is very straight forward and mine is complex. Only want to use advisor submitted for mine.

My wife has very straight forward T4 income.
Myself, I have salaried income + self-employment with full expense profile etc.
How can I use the basic turbo tax filing for her, while leveraging the advisor completed turbo tax level for my filing.
3 Replies

How can I use two different TurboTax services for myself and my wife. Hers is very straight forward and mine is complex. Only want to use advisor submitted for mine.

If you want to use 2 different versions of TurboTax for you and your spouse, then you will need to prepare your returns separately.

"Basic" is not available in TurboTax Online, it is only available in CD/Download form (for Windows).

Thank you,
If we file separately, is there any downside?

The downside is that the program can't see your spouse's information. You'll have to manually enter your wife's info, and she will have to enter yours. You'll also have to figure out yourself who claims things like donations, medical expenses, etc...