Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I opt OUT of the premium pack?

10 Replies

Unfortunately, if you add the Premium Pack or any other upgrades or extra features to your return, there is no way to remove it. If you don’t wish to pay for it, then you’ll need to create a new return and then re-enter your information.

To start a new return, select “Start a New Return” from under “My Accounts & Returns”. Once you have started your new return, you can select “View All Returns” from under “My Accounts & Returns”, and delete the unwanted return by clicking the small Trash Can next to it.

I'm relatively certain that either the ASC, the competition bureau or both will take umbrage with an "upgrade" that most users do not know that they've added until they try to pay, at which point they cannot remove this "feature" without starting a new return. This certainly strikes me as being a deceptive marketing practice, and particularly awful in the wake of COVID-19 with everyone worrying about their finances...

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/getting-started/discussion/how-do-i-opt-out-of-the-pr...

Is this something that you intend to fix, or should I be reaching out to the regulators about it?

Here's an easy trick if you've "gone too far" to remove this "conveniently preselected" option.

Make a copy of your return and go into the beginning of the copy and deselect this option. 

Be vigilant! You'll need to deselect it AGAIN in the review section (watch for the preselected orange box at the bottom of the screen, don't just hit continue you actually need to opt out of this "upgrade").

Good luck tax friends. 

nahkrahza

Seriously?!? That's insane. Start all over to removed premium pack?!? How on earth is that the solution? Why not just a button that lets you deselect it? It's like the process is deliberately set to make it difficult to undo. I switched for HRB to this and found it overall to be way better ... until this. 

Seriously. Fix this. Now!

When you add a service or upgrade your return, you get a pop-up with this message:

You've agreed to upgrade to [Product Name] for the primary return.

You will not have to pay until you're ready to file.

If you've already paid for this return, then you will only be charged the difference between the new price and what you've already paid.

Please note that any interview bookmarks that you've added will be deleted after this upgrade.

Once you have chosen to upgrade to [Product Name] you cannot go back to your previous version of TurboTax.

Then you can click OK or Cancel. So you have the opportunity to decline if you accidentally clicked the button on the TurboTax page.

nzcontak

I've tried to "copy profile" but sadly the option stays on the new copy as well. 

You will need to create a new one from scratch.

An opt-out option should definitely be implemented. It's plainly stupid that you have to go through it all over again for a possible miss-click or a change of mind. Especially when their "Yes" & "No" buttons are never on the same side. 

Try starting from the very beginning in the copy and clicking through all of the screens. It's annoying, but less annoying than re-entering all of the data or being scammed IMO.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

As mentioned by TurboTax Susan, you receive the following message when upgrading:

When you add a service or upgrade your return, you get a pop-up with this message: 

• You've agreed to upgrade to [Product Name] for the primary return. 
  • You will not have to pay until you're ready to file. 
  • If you've already paid for this return, then you will only be charged the difference between the new price and what you've already paid. 
  • Please note that any interview bookmarks that you've added will be deleted after this upgrade. 
  • Once you have chosen to upgrade to [Product Name] you cannot go back to your previous version of TurboTax

Then you can click OK or Cancel. So you have the opportunity to decline if you accidentally clicked the button on the TurboTax page. 

The only way to leave this upgraded version is to start a new return not even copy the return. 

The messaging is deliberately designed in a way that the "accept" button is the same as the "next" button on other screens for all of the related screens - and the scammy "offer" is repeated several times! The user really has to be vigilant to avoid being scammed by this.

Add to this that the system is designed so once the user accepts the scammer offer, they can no longer get rid of it without rework. This is ridiculous!

Instead of defending this poorly designed scam, why not simply fix the system in order to benefit users (rather than scamming them)?