Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pennytam

I bought the Online version by mistake but did not realize it until it's installed. How can I change it to the download version?

7 Replies

I bought the Online version by mistake but did not realize it until it's installed. How can I change it to the download version?

The TurboTax Online version - is where you sign into your online account and go to TurboTax.ca/activate- to start. The TurboTax CD/Download is where you download TurboTax on your computer and need to enter a license code for it to install. 

Did you purchase your software directly from TurboTax or a retailer? 

Viglione2019
Returning Member

I applied for a refund for the online version but will take 5 to 7 business days.   I don't want a refund but would like my activiation code for the online version to work on the desktop version that customer service installed today.   I spent over 2 hours today just trying to transfer data to the online version and am very furstrated.  Now  I can't access the worksheets, schedules, T1 gerneal etc online.    Therefore, if only my actiivation works on the desktop version that customer service installed today, I can start using the program.   Please help!

@Viglione2019 

The codes for TurboTax Online will not work with TurboTax CD/Download & vice-versa. 

You can buy TurboTax CD/Download here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/software/download

Viglione2019
Returning Member

No where does TurboTax state that the online version does not have access to worksheets, schedules and the T1 General return.   The customer service rep already help me to download the desktop version.  However, the customer service rep was not able to change my online version activation code to work on the desktop version.   Why am I being asked to repurchase the program again when all I need is to be actived on the desktop version which has already been downloaded?

Unfortunately, the activation code for the Online software is not interchangeable with the Desktop/Download license code. One does not work with the other software.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Viglione2019
Returning Member

Why do I have to purchase the program again?   I already paid for the online version and it doesn't work.   I am asking to simply switch to the desktop version which is the idential cost.   Why am I being asked to pay for the program a second time?  If that is the case, I'm better off to go with a diffferent company and program.

Did customer service give you a code? If yes- you would need to go here to download the TurboTax software that you purchased and enter the code when it asks you to.