Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lblackey

I have a T4A slip but do not run my own business, so I have no info to enter into the business form or industry code page. Can I claim this income on a regular T4 slip?

7 Replies

I have a T4A slip but do not run my own business, so I have no info to enter into the business form or industry code page. Can I claim this income on a regular T4 slip?

The CRA considers amounts in box 20 and box 48 of the T4A slip as self-employment/business income.

More information: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3282160
L_M

I also have this same concern. Netfile won't let me file my tax until I fill out 'company' information, of which I don't have. I'm an agency nurse, so a contract/freelancer paid by another company. I don't need my own company- so how can I file tax if I can't bypass this problem.  

Turbotax- if you're gonna take the time to reply to a concern, please give us actual helpful guidance than simply "here's a link to the homepage of our website"

@L_M If you've entered an amount in Box 48 of the T4A you have what the CRA considers to be self-employment or business income.

If you have an amount in any of these boxes, TurboTax will ask additional questions to report the income as self-employment/business income. You only need to answer basic information, such as business name and address (can be your own), industry code, and fiscal period (Jan 01 to December 31). 

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Banman

This is a partial answer to the question submitted above.  It is understood that Turbo tax see's a T4A as business income.  However, if you don't have a business how do you by-pass this?  Because it won't send without this info.  I received an honorarium for a speaking engagement and I don't have my own business.  They gave me a T4A (Fee's for service - line 48) for all of $500 and Turbo tax won't let me submit until I put a business name and Industry number.  Again, I don't have a business.  

What do you do to submit?  I've never had this issue in previous years.  I've submit for many years with Turbo Tax and entered many T4A's (fee's for service) I've never had to enter a business or industry code.

Thank you for your help Turbo Tax.

You will enter your business name- as your personal name and address as your home address- you do not need to enter anything else. 

Banman

It also stats that you need an industry number.  I don't see any industry numbers that would fit a public speaking engagement, unless you can tell which one would?  Secondly, it also asks you to input info on the fiscal start and end period.  Would you input Jan to Dec. or only the include the one month out of the whole year I did a speaking engagement?

Thanks for you reply on the first question. 🙂

You may get clarification from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to these questions as the CRA is requesting this be entered as a business. They can be contacted at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.