Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwilkat

I received a T4A for an one-time one day of work. I'm told to fill out a T2125. What am I supposed to enter for Business name? Bus. #? I'm not registered as a business.

I worked one day. I had no idea I would receive a T4A (thought it would be a regular T4). I'm not a registered business and don't consider myself self-employed (I have a regular 9-5 job). Do I need to register myself as a business? I wouldn't even know what NAICS classification I would be (I was a host on a bus going to an event). 

The T2125 also asks about HST and CPP. I have no idea how to calculate any of that. This seems like so much work for what was only $275. I've tried entering this amount as a separate T4 and the net amount of tax owed is the exact same. Can I just do this instead?

1 Reply

I received a T4A for an one-time one day of work. I'm told to fill out a T2125. What am I supposed to enter for Business name? Bus. #? I'm not registered as a business.

You would not want to put amounts that are on a T4A into the T4 enter screen, as it may cause issues when you try to NETFILE. Also the CRA knows which slips you have and may give you problems when they assess your return.

When filling in the Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities, only minimal entries are required; the business name can be your name and the business address can be your home address. Don’t worry about GST and registration numbers if they don’t apply to you.

For industry code, perhaps 487110 (Scenic and sightseeing transportation, land) would work for you? Or maybe 713990 (Guide services, tourist)? If not, you can look up your industry code on the CRA website: http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=380372

Or you can use the search tools on the NAICS website: https://www.naics.com/search/