Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ul4ik

I received reimbursement for previous years overpay of electricity bill. How to claim the true electricity bill for this year (home based employee)

I am home based (100%) employee that started working mid 2018 from home. I am paying my electricity bill with equalized plan and in June each year the electrical company will calculate the actual consumption and in my case I was entitle for large reimbursement that was provided to me in the second part of 2018 for over charge in 2017. How best to claim the electrical expenses for second part of 2018? Can I claim the established monthly payment multiplied by 6 months (to ignore the reimbursement)?

1 Reply

I received reimbursement for previous years overpay of electricity bill. How to claim the true electricity bill for this year (home based employee)

You would claim what you actually paid for the period in 2018 when you were working from home. So yes, if you paid only your monthly payments during that time, then you can multiply it by 6 and use that amount.

If you have TurboTax Live Assist & Review, here is how to talk to a Tax Expert: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3456106