Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am representing this person is auto-fill my return possible?

I am filing my mother in law's return. I am authorized by her to represent her to access her CRA account.
Am I able to use auto-fill my return in this case?
11 Replies
wiebev

I do not think that it is that simple. When you go to the CRA site with the request to Auto Fill you do not have the option to log in as a Representative. That option is available prior to the screen that CRA throws up when you log in via Turbo Tax Auto Fill. That is my take on it. Please help. The next question that follows is that when you go to file the Tax Return do you again have to log into CRA My Account? If so the same problem will occur. With the new Security changes things do not work as they did previously.

Maylene

Actually you can use AutoFill with CRA represent a client. When you get to the part of Turbotax where you need to connect to the CRA, stop and open up your browser. Access the CRA site through the represent a client option, and open up the account of the person that you represent. Keep that account open in the browser and go back to Turbotax and click on the import button. Turbotax will go to the CRA account that you have open in your browser and then download and autofill the information. Hope this helps users who have struggled with this. I am not a tax preparer but I do my Mom's tax return this way.

I tried that for a 2022 tax return and it did not work.  Turbo tax just timed out waiting for CRA to autofill.   On the CRA site Turbo Tax is not listed under the approved softwares for using Autofill and Representatives authorization.   Has anyone else been successful in using CRA autofill via Authorize a representative?

Update March 19:  I tried again today and it worked! This time I signed in to "CRA represent a client" and called up the client's file before initiating the autofill dialog in Turbo Tax.  

I am my son's CRA rep I do his taxes. He lives in Vancouver I live in Calgary. I do not need to auto-fill anything I just need to net file. But it seems like is supposed to be doing the filing even though I am authorised. If he was here he could hit file but he is not am I breaking any rules if I file from Turbo tax for him?

@garymacyyc The CRA understands that family members will help each other file their returns. As long as your son knows that you are filing for him and approves, then there is no problem.

vaudin

Tried again and Turbotax won't do an automatic download of Tax slips when I sign in to a CRA account as an authorized representative

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Preparing a tax return for a family member or a friend

Individuals can also use Auto-fill my return on behalf of a family member. If you prepare a tax return for a family member or a friend, you need to:

• be authorized by your family member or friend to use Auto-fill my return on their behalf. You will need a RepID, which you can get through the Represent a Client portal. The RepID identifies you with the CRA.
  • give your RepID to your family member or friend so they can authorize you as their representative through their My Account. For more information on authorizing a representative, go to Authorize or cancel a representative.
  • once you are authorized, you can use Auto-fill my return to access their tax information and file a return for them.

Each individual should enter their own CRA user ID and password to use this service. Auto-fill my return can be used for the current tax filing year plus the previous six tax years.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

splinter1

this worked for me thank you

You're welcome.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.