Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im doing back taxes from 2014 to now. I added all t4s, t4a, t4e, t5007 together and it says she owes 5158.51. Am i supposed to wait for them to pick the year an then add?

I want to know. When doing her back taxes, i simply put in all the T4s, T4a, T4e, T5007 in radom order from the random years she wrote them down in but, all her income ect from 2014 to now was entered. She owes $5158.51 it says. Did i screw up? Am i supposed to enter the 2018 year first and go back from there? Will turbo tax ask me for a specific year to do first ect? I dont understand why its saying she owes so much. The total income aince 2014 was 7900.00 plus. Did she get a fine? In the beginning, she was up to a refund of over 200.00. I entered a t4 where she made 121,000.00 plus and it sent her down to owing 5,000.00 plus. HELP!!! I HAVENT NETFILED IT YET. PLEASE HELP ME SO I CAN MAKE SURE I HAVENT AND DO NOT SCREW UP HER TAXES FROM 2014 UNTIL NOW! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Im doing back taxes from 2014 to now. I added all t4s, t4a, t4e, t5007 together and it says she owes 5158.51. Am i supposed to wait for them to pick the year an then add?

For starters, you might consider getting help to file these back taxes. It will cost. But I’d recommend it.

If you do them yourself, with or without Turbotax, here are some considerations:

1) You cannot, ever, mix income from different tax years on one tax return. You must file each return separately, year by year. For example, your 2014 return must ONLY report income from 2014 slips.

2) if you are using tax software such as TT, you MUST use the version of software only for that tax year, since credits and base amounts are changed each year,as well as changes to the ITA.

3) Prepare each year 2014-2018 ( 5 different returns) separately. If you mail them in, send them alll together. If you are able to file electronically, send earliest first.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For starters, you might consider getting help to file these back taxes. It will cost. But I’d recommend it.

If you do them yourself, with or without Turbotax, here are some considerations:

1) You cannot, ever, mix income from different tax years on one tax return. You must file each return separately, year by year. For example, your 2014 return must ONLY report income from 2014 slips.

2) if you are using tax software such as TT, you MUST use the version of software only for that tax year, since credits and base amounts are changed each year,as well as changes to the ITA.

3) Prepare each year 2014-2018 ( 5 different returns) separately. If you mail them in, send them alll together. If you are able to file electronically, send earliest first.