Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandatory Upgrade to Turbo Tax Deluxe to report HBP repayment?

Hello @TurboTaxSusan 
I want to designate RRSP amount as HBP repayment for me and my spouse and the software(Turbo Tax Online Free) asks to upgrade to Turbo Tax Deluxe just to report this, costing $20/return (total $40).
Turbo Tax Online free version offers the feature to handle RRSP contributions(as mentioned on the different product offerings webpage) , then why is the software version upgrade required?
Is this a new change introduced this year? Is there any way I can report HBP repayment without the version upgrade, which can calculate and submit my taxes appropriately?

Regards

9 Replies

Yeah, I was also unimpressed by this. Then when I got to the checkout section is forces me to pay for the deluxe package for both me and my spouse even though the HBP is only under my name. So now it’s $39.98 just because of the HBP repayment which is ridiculous for the 3 boxes of information it needs. 

Irritating and ridiculous indeed! Money-minting strategy for them.

This year, TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure that Canadians have access to the features that will help them get the best tax outcome by broadening its product lineup and directing users to the version of TurboTax that aligns with their tax situation. We’ve expanded our lineup and tailored each version of TurboTax to address the complexity of various levels of filers. This year, when you file with TurboTax, you will be directed to the version that best suits your needs based on complexity, to ensure you are getting the best possible tax outcome for the best value.

For more information please see our TurboTax FAQ Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

@TurboTaxGinette :- Thanks for your response. However for the raised concern, reporting HBP repayment on one's ITBR isn't that complex of a feature that should warrant a mandatory upgrade to a premium/paid version of the tax filing software. It is a simple piece of information which the tax payer wants to communicate/report to CRA that doesn't really optimize the tax return since it doesn't need to search for any additional credits or deductions (the capability offered by the premium versions of the software).
Hence, please review this feedback with the IT team and try to carefully assess if the raised concern and provided reason is valid or not.
Happy to discuss further if needed.

Regards

Thank you for your reply. We appreciate your suggestion and will pass it on to our TurboTax experts.

Please relay to TurboTax that this is robbery.   This involves entering data on one single line and does not require additional forms.   Its like they want us to use comparable free programs.   "How can we take more money from them with little effort - charge them $25 to enter 1 line of data".

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

This is a gross money grab from TurboTax. I am being charged $40 because I want to report a HBP repayment? I will NEVER use this service again and will actively recommend against TurboTax to anyone I know.

We appreciate your feedback on the upgrading of our TurboTax online products. If  you are using a windows computer, we can recommend that you use our TurboTax Desktop version which includes 8 return. 2 would be for you and your spouse then you can do your family or friends returns also. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.