Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I input an NR4 form with income code of 43 in turbo tax

Hello, 

What about box 14 as 13 (Gross rents from real property)? Where should enter the data from NR4? I have set my residency as non-resident S216 and enterer the rental income as a Rental Property, but can't find any place to enter box 17 value.

Thanks.

avnish

I think the tax withheld in box 17 of the NR4 is supposed to be reported in box 43700 of the T1159.  But I can't figure out where to enter that in TurboTax! 

Vahid
Returning Member

Exactly, I have the same question. I am a non-resident of Canada under section 216 (rental income) and have a NR4 with code 13. I don't know where to put box 16 and 17 of NR4 in TurboTax. I believe box 17 of NR4 mush be reported in line 43700 of form T1159, but cannot find anyway to enter it. Kindly help to find it. Thanks

Can you please let us know if you are using TurboTax Online or CD/download?

NR4 with  Box 13 -  is the Foreign or Canadian tax identification number. 

Here is a great TurboTax article: Non-Resident Section 216 – Rental Property

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

JasonDunn

There are more questions in this thread than answers, so I thought I'd share what I've learned. I'm a Canadian citizen living and working in the USA so I'm a non-resident. I'm also not a tax expert so take everything below with a grain of salt. 🙃

First, you can call the CRA at a special line (for some reason I can't post the phone number here?) and talk specifically to someone about non-resident withholding. I was able to get through without any wait, which was a pleasant surprise. The person was very helpful and explained quite a bit.

What I learned after talking to the CRA agent is that the NR-4 is essentially a "mini return", filed by the company that issues the funds to you and submits the tax to the government on your behalf. It tells the CRA as a non-resident you've earned income, and that taxes have been paid. The reason why there's no place to "put the NR-4 into TurboTax" (which is what I too was trying to do) is that there's no need to do it unless you are also trying to do a full return. If you only have the NR-4, and no other Canadian income or losses, my understanding is that you do not need to file a return.

Now things get a little more complex if you have losses (I have a T5013 with losses) and you want to get back some of the tax you paid on the NR-4. If you don't put the info from the NR-4 into TurboTax, it doesn't know you've paid taxes, therefore there's nothing to get a refund against for the loss. That's something I'm trying to figure out now and will report back here if I get clarity.