Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently took courses in order to start providing therapy as a side prop (self employed). Do I claim this under "business expenses", under "other"?

2 Replies

I recently took courses in order to start providing therapy as a side prop (self employed). Do I claim this under "business expenses", under "other"?

The answer is yes.

If you are self-employed, you could report it as other expenses in which you report your self-employment income (on your T2125, T2121, or T2042).

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

How you claim your training expenses depends on what the training was for. If your training was only to enhance or add to an existing skill, then yes, you can claim the expense under “Other”.

But if the training was for an entirely new skill, then you can’t claim it as a business expense. Instead, you may be able to claim the tuition in the Deductions>Students section on your tax return.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for using TurboTax.