Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I replaced my hard drive and re-installed prior year versions of the TurboTax software. How can I update those software versions so that I can open the old tax returns?

I need information from older returns to accurately prepare the 2022 return.  For example, 2015 Turbotax.  I would also appreciate if I can update the prior years' versions too.
5 Replies

I replaced my hard drive and re-installed prior year versions of the TurboTax software. How can I update those software versions so that I can open the old tax returns?

You can download older versions of TurboTax CD/download edition (2018 to 2021) here: Where can I download the CD/download edition of TurboTax?

Here is the link for TurboTax CD/Download 2016: https://intuitglobal.intuit.com/downloads/CanadaTax/2016/dls/TurboTax2016_Bld8004_May18.exe

Here is the link for TurboTax CD/Download 2017: https://intuitglobal.intuit.com/downloads/CanadaTax/2017/dls/TurboTax2017_Build9008.exe

If you no longer have the licence code for these products, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Unfortunately, we no longer support products for 2015 or earlier.

Thank you. 

Are these links to the updated versions of the software for the respective years?  I mean, each year there would be a few updates to the software during the filing season and are the links point to those updated versions of the original versions of the CD?  

I do have the original CD's of all the years and installed them in my new hard drive.  However, they are unable to open the saved returns as they were created/saved with the updated versions.

Thanks.

The versions we have to download on our website are the most up to date versions, with all the updates applied.

BlondieSL

I know that this thread is from last year, but I too have run into the same problem.

I had to replace my hard drive with an SSD, Windows 10 and sadly, Microsoft's own Backup and Restore software, can create the IMAGE (from old drive) but it fails when trying to restore it to the new drive.

This process works perfectly with Windows 7, but not Windows 10.

Therefore, rather than a nice and easy reimage to the new SSD, I had to reinstall Win10 from scratch!

So now I have to install several years of TurboTax.  I did find MOST of the CDS with their license codes, but not all.  Sure, they are here somewhere, but I just can't find them as yet.

So I wish that TT would have an "archive" link where all the old versions are listed and we just clicked on the year we'd like to download.

But the other problem too, is that while I thought that the keys are stored on our accounts (since it says that on one of the packages or on the site) IT IS NOT!

As for 2023, I do have that and the key, so no issue and it installed just fine and I was able to re-enter the key.

However, when I click to "register" it, I was shocked at just how much information... PERSONAL INFORMATION that Intuit wants us to enter... INFO THAT IS NOT VITAL TO RUNNING SOFTWARE!

It should be nothing more than our name and email.... NOT our address and other PRIVATE information.

As a certified computer engineer, I KNOW that websites and their servers are often hacked!  So I REFUSE to put all that info on a site!

PLEASE MAKE THIS EASIER FOR US, WITHOUT trying to gather all... ALL of our personal info!!!

It would also be a good idea to let PAYING CUSTOMERS know where on the hard drive that the license key is stored, so that, with the old drive, we can obtain it so that we can re-activate on the new drive.

Right now, I can't find a few disks with their keys, so this is a problem.

Especially for 2022, which isn't long ago.  I can still access them on the old drive... but can't find the key to transfer to the new drive.

Just to clarify, are you using a new computer or just changed the drive? If you were able to open your return on your old drive, we can then assist you. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax