Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Canada employment deduction show if I had no employment income

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The Canada Employment Amount is often triggered when you enter Medical Premiums paid by your employer after you quit working and reported on a T4 or T4A, 

or if you report Wage Loss Replacement Plan Benefits.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The Canada Employment Amount is often triggered when you enter Medical Premiums paid by your employer after you quit working and reported on a T4 or T4A, 

or if you report Wage Loss Replacement Plan Benefits.

Hi...  The Canada Employment Amount deduction appears to have gotten  (incorrectly) triggered while doing my mother-in-law's 2021 TurboTax this year.    She is a (very) senior citizen and only has CPP + OAS + pension income (from more than 1 company).  All reported on T-Slips which were Auto-filled into TurboTax.   She does have a T4A reporting "Premiums paid to a group term life insurance plan".  Based on the original reply to this question, I suspect that is why it got triggered for her.    So,,, how do I remove this deduction?   

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, that is definitely the reason why the amount for the Canada Employment Amount is triggered. 

Please contact our phone support team for assistance.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you for your reply.   We did try to contact telephone support a couple of times but could not get through.  As the filing deadline was approaching,  we filed as is.  we assume and hope that CRA will catch this error and correct it.

OR,,, can this still be corrected and then can we resubmit an updated/corrected return to CRA ?   Can this then be resubmitted by e-file or will we have to resubmit by paper copy and mail ?

You will need to wait for your Notice of Assessment to see if CRA did catch it and if yes, there is nothing for you to do. If they didn't catch it then you will be able to ReFile. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.