Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluesman

T4A(P) has box 24 Excess amount, but Turbotax's form has 3 boxes with different descriptions and none that say Excess amount--which box do I enter it in and why?

We withdrew more than the amount in box 24 on the RIF but there's no guidance as to which box to ue and they are all numbered 24
3 Replies

T4A(P) has box 24 Excess amount, but Turbotax's form has 3 boxes with different descriptions and none that say Excess amount--which box do I enter it in and why?

The T4A(P) is for your Canada Pension Plan Benefits. If you withdrew amounts from a RIF, then you would get a T4RIF instead.

To get to the T4RIF in TurboTax Online, use the “Find” tool (magnifying glass) to search for “T4RIF”. Select “T4RIF Statement of Income From a Registered Retirement Income Fund” from the list and then click the “Go” button.

bluesman

No this did not answer my question--I was referring to the T4RIF form in Turbotaxt where I came across the 3 different choices. I have no idea why there are 3 choices as this was not the case in the past.

I selected the first box and it is still confusing because they are all labelled box 24

It seems to have worked out correctly once I completed the return but some clarification is required within Turbotax all the same.

If you withdrew/received income from your T4RIF the first box is the one you will use.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.