Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s-djeric

How do I report United Nations income on Turbotax? Where do I find line 256 or the form that contains it?

I am trying to file my taxes for the first time. I am employed by the United Nations and from this forum and speaking to agents, I know that I need to put my UN Income under line 256 as it is tax exempt - the question is, how do I do this on Turbotax? I don't see the Income Tax and Benefit Return form anywhere nor am I able to find line 256 under 'Foreign Income'. Thanks to everyone in advance.

11 Replies

How do I report United Nations income on Turbotax? Where do I find line 256 or the form that contains it?

Line 256 - Additional deductions

Line 256 information can come from a few different spots on your return. 

Other exempt income including employment with a prescribed international organization (such as the United Nations).

To enter in and confirm the source amounts of your other exempt foreign income:

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find.
  2. In the Find window, type Other.
  3. Select Other Deductions from the list, and select Go.

this doesn't bring up an option for line 256. when i enter something in the other spot, it doesn't populate 256

@calixtomoon - Please contact our support team, as they will be able to view your screen, if the agent is unable to resolve your issue, please request to have your situation "escalated" to a higher level.
Answer the questions, so it guides you towards the right team.  Apply the drop downs and you will get a phone number specified to your question (ie - support, care):
I want to talk to someone. How do I phone you? - https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013
canadamkh
Returning Member

Were you able to find a solution for this? I am having the same issue.

To enter an amount in line 25600 on your T1 in TurboTax Online, click “Find” (magnifying glass) in the top right and search for “other”. Select “Other Deductions” from the list and click on the “Go” button. Click the “Continue” button, until you get to the “Additional Deductions” page. You can enter your United Nations income in the box “Employment with a prescribed international organization”.

To do this in TurboTax CD/Download, select Deductions & Credits>Other Deductions from the side menu. On the “Your other deductions profile for 2019” check off “other deductions”. Then click Continue until you get to the “Additional Deductions” page.

thanks for the guidance

canadamkh
Returning Member

I ended up using GenuTax software as they have this option. Note that for some reasons (I am really curious which are those) CRA does not accept electronic returns if you include your UN income, so you'll have to print out, physically sign and send the manual return. 

Dear S Djeric

You do not put your UN income on line 256. Line 256 is for the offsetting deduction.  You cannot claim a deduction on line 256 unless you also report the income. You first need to put your income under 'Foreign employment income' or 'other income'. Then you can use the steps given by the moderator to enter the deduction.

Here is how it is to be done using the forms method in the desktop version. I imagine there must be a similar result achievable using the online version but I have never used it:  https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/getting-started/discussion/re-how-do-i-report-non-tax...

Dear TurboTaxLise

This explains how to claim the deduction. But the deduction cannot be claimed unless the income is first reported. It would be helpful to also explain how to use the on-line Turbo Tax version to report the income on line 104 or line 130. Then take the deduction.