Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheep101

Auto-Fill not working (even after trying 3 times)

When I try to use Auto-Fill (something I've done for years now), although everything on the CRA login went well, I am told by TurboTax that "we ran into an issue trying to get your tax info" and am given options to "Try Again" or "Skip Auto-Fill My Return".

Even after trying again 3 times, I get the same result. I know Auto-Fill is available now since it is now past February 20, so this seems like a bug in TurboTax.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

AFR will retrieve slips that CRA has actually received. If some of your T4s and other slips have yet to be filed, they cannot be downloaded from My Account.

Also, not all slips are available, example T2202A Tuition,nor are credit receipts for such things as Medical and Charitables. There are errors for supported slips such as T3s. 
Slip providers do not always strictly adhere to CRA format guidelines, these are not enforced.

You will save a little time by using AutoFill, which btw is a CRA feature not a software vendor product.
Your RRSP decisions have to be made regardless, and I suggest you enter your slip data ( as I have done) in order to arrive at a contribution amount.

View solution in original post

39 Replies

Turborax users must be registered with My Account for CRA.

AFR will retrieve slips that CRA has actually received. If some of your T4s and other slips have yet to be filed, they cannot be downloaded from My Account.

Also, not all slips are available, example T2202A Tuition,nor are credit receipts for such things as Medical and Charitables. There are errors for supported slips such as T3s. 
Slip providers do not always strictly adhere to CRA format guidelines, these are not enforced.

You will save a little time by using AutoFill, which btw is a CRA feature not a software vendor product.
Your RRSP decisions have to be made regardless, and I suggest you enter your slip data ( as I have done) in order to arrive at a contribution amount.

Update for 2018...ie 2017 tax year.
I am now part of CRA trial users for AutoFill in the CVITP.
I have used AutoFill for my own family returns this year using Turbotax online, and both times the process worked smoothly. BUT, BUT be advised as follows all users of AutoFill.
1. AutoFill ONLY downloads slips posted to your CRA account.
2. CRA advises users to check all slip data. The taxpayer is responsible for resolving any errors and omissions.
3. AuroFill does NOT download your personal information. You must supply this.
4. Turbotax users must be registered for My Account for CRA ( this isn't necessary for CVITP clients).

I have been registered with CRA for years.  I have used autofill in the past.  The issue is TurboTax.  What is further annoying is the disingenuous messaging. Talks about helping and then just repeats the same error.  Seriously considering another tax package next year. 

We weren't able to download your info

We got an error when trying to connect to the CRA.

Don't worry; we'll help you get the info you have

into all the right spots in just a few steps

CRA had Auto-Fill closed until an hour ago. Therefore you should be able to go back and use Auto-Fill correctly.

mrxtr00

Auto-Fill still greyed out.

This is after multiple install/uninstall   -  update  attempts. 

At least I'm not getting the 805 error!

Worst TurboTax version I've ever used. 

Does not instill confidence in the software.

@mrxtr00

CRA did have intermittent issues with the Auto-Fill My Return (AFR) this past week. Please try closing out of your return, then reopening it and trying again. If you switch to the Forms View of your TurboTax CD/Download version  when you reopen it a pop-up window will appear for the AFR service).

If this does not work for you, please contact our Support Team from the link below. In the field that says "Ask your question", type in "your question" and you will be directed to an agent that can assist you.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

im having the exact issues with Turbotax online. I have been inporting my info for several years now, but unable to do so this year. I have tried on diffrent browsers as well as on my mac book and still the same results. I will try during the day tomorrow again, but its not looking hopefull

I have exactly the same issue. I have tried with 3 different browsers and even changed computers. But it never worked. I have been with Turbo Tax many years and never had an issue with Auto Fill until this year. The only difference from this year is I have more slips to claim (T5008) since I started stock trading from 2019. It is more than 100 slips and I don't want to manually input.  I believe this is something to do with the issue because Auto Fill just worked fine on my wife side and she just has regular T4 and T5 slips. It seems that it is Turbo Tax problem as it stops working when it is communicating with Turbo Tax server to save the data downloaded from CRA. I understand Turbo Tax team may be too busy right now due to Covid 19. But I don't want to wait either. I will try other software to check if it does the same thing.