Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfcar51

Turbotax deluxe online edition it says I'll have to pay $19.99 MORE to file!~ Why do I have to pay more $$ to file?

3 Replies

Turbotax deluxe online edition it says I'll have to pay $19.99 MORE to file!~ Why do I have to pay more $$ to file?

You’ve been upgraded to make sure that you get the greatest benefit from your medical expenses.

We understand why this change may be upsetting. But, in previous years, customers often chose a version of the software that didn’t meet their needs and ended up not getting all the credits & deductions that they could have. This year, TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure that Canadians get the best tax outcome by directing users to the version of TurboTax Online that aligns with their tax situation.

dfcar51

UPGRADED?!! What upgrade? I paid for the TurboTax Deluxe Online Edition at Costco because they didn't have the "Standard" edition in stock, which I normally buy (or download), and which more than suits my needs!

When I signed in online, at the bottom of one of the pages it said I'll have to pay $19.99 per return to file returns ($39.98 for joint returns)!?

I will feel VERY RIPPED OFF if I  now have to pay more money to file my return when the package clearly says I can file up to 8 returns under the a single account!

That is false advertising at the very least!

If this is not a misunderstanding in the terminology or what I thought I was buying, then I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

I have been a VERY loyal TurboTax user since it's inception (yes way back to year one of QuickTax!) and I have never felt so mislead! 
Please advise, am I going to have to fork out an additional $19.99 for each return I file even though I paid for the Deluxe edition that says I can file 8 returns under the single license?

You would only have to upgrade if the returns you are preparing have something which is not included in Deluxe, such as investments or rental income. This TurboTax page shows what is included in the Free, Deluxe & Premier versions of TurboTax Online: Online Tax Software

If you have Self-Employment income, you will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed Online.

If you would like a refund, please use the form on this TurboTax FAQ: How do I get a refund for a TurboTax product?