Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is cra T1198 form?

6 Replies

What is cra T1198 form?

was told I couldn't netfile as I had entered a retro active lump sum payment on T1198. I did not . I do not have that form. I receive a monthly pension. I reported an amount in box 32 on my T4A registered pension plan contribution on line 207??? I would like to correct this error. please advise.
mohaint

What is cra T1198 form?

Received error response to attempted netfile, "you are reporting a qualifying retroactive lump-sum payment on Form 1198."  Have not received a T1198, and the return also does not show a T1198. How do I find out if someone filed a T1198 ?

Checked MyAccount on CRA and there is not a T1198 on file.

Suggestions ????

What is cra T1198 form?

When you go to NETFILE your return, you are asked if you are reporting a qualifying retroactive lump-sum payment on Form T1198? 

If you answer “Yes”, you will not be able to NETFILE, but if you answer “No”, you will be taxed on your whole lump sum this year.

Form T1198 – Statement of Qualifying Retroactive Lump-Sum Payment is a form you submit to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you received a lump-sum payment and would like them to complete a special tax calculation that takes into account the unusual nature of this lump-sum payment.

For more information please follow our TurboTax Article T1198 Form – Statement of Qualifying Retroactive Lump-Sum Payment

What is cra T1198 form?

I selected No and it still asked me to mail my return. How do I even know I have a QRSLP? Is it in a certain tax slip. I have not seen this T4A slip either on my Bank, have not been sent this slip or its not on the CRA slips section. Very confusing. 

So, I paid my balance due. But now I have to mail my return due to this issue. Am I still going to be penalized for delays?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

What is cra T1198 form?

Can you please clarify what error code you are getting?

StoveC99

What is cra T1198 form?

So I ran into this problem where I couldn't NETFILE after getting an error message stating that I was requesting a T1198. It was weird because I don't remember selecting/not selecting it and could not find where I would check the box for the life of me when looking at the "easy steps" in Turbo tax. What's more, CRA owed me money and not the other way around... This form is meant when you owe money.

Anyhow, I was able to fix this error and submit electronically by switching from Easy steps to forms in Turbo Tax. I then selected the form "NETFILE" form and found one of the boxes saying I wanted to use a T1198.

In the NetFile Worksheet, under the bold heading, "Do any of the above situations apply", you will find a "Are you reporting a qualifying retroactive lump-sum payment on Form T1198". I found the box checked yes and moved it to a no. I saved my return and went back to easy steps and was able to submit via Netfile successfully.

I hope this helps others!