Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 105 box should I use? I recieved grants for school. There are two boxes, one eligible for exemption and one not. My T4A says nothing about it, only says Box 105?

I'm not sure which box to use. My slip only says Box 105, but I've received grants.
3 Replies

Which 105 box should I use? I recieved grants for school. There are two boxes, one eligible for exemption and one not. My T4A says nothing about it, only says Box 105?

We can help you with our TurboTax article: Your Complete Guide to the T4A Tax Slip

Box 105 – Scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, artists’ project grants, and prizes

You may have heard a rumor that your scholarship/bursary is tax-free. Not quite—but close!

If you were a full-time student, your scholarship/bursary income is exempt from tax in most cases in all provinces except Québec. However, you do need to enter the T4A information on your tax return. So when you enter your T4A income, choose the option for Box 105 that applies to full-time students to make sure you’re not paying tax on this tax-exempt income.

If you were a part-time student, some or all of your T4A scholarship/bursary income may be exempt. At least $500 will be exempt in most cases. The amount depends on how much your courses cost and how much scholarship/bursary income you received.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

cece94

Hi, can you explain what circumstances on how the amount depends on how much your courses cost vs how much scholarship/bursary is? I received a bursary for 1000, and my tuition was 2000.

Also in a separate instance,

I received a stipend for a government incentive for the PSW program under TDSB and received 5k with no tuition costs but receive the T4A with box 105 of the stipend amount. How do I enter this?

@cece94 This CRA webpage has information on the Scholarship exemption: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

For your stipend, that is taxable. If you are not sure if it qualifies for the Scholarship exemption, then you can contact whoever issued the slip and ask.