Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pepsi222

Why after filling in the boxes that that reflect what's on the T4 does an amount show in box 26 when it wasn't filled on the T4?

3 Replies

Why after filling in the boxes that that reflect what's on the T4 does an amount show in box 26 when it wasn't filled on the T4?

Did you Auto-Fill your return? The amount in box 26 is the amount of CPP/QPP pensionable earnings which were paid on your income.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

pepsi222

Hi there

I don’t use auto fill - I enter everything manually from the T4. I’m working on my 18 year olds taxes and there wasn’t any CPP amounts listed only EI.

@pepsi222 If you don't enter anything for box 26 (or Box 24), then TurboTax will automatically calculate the amount. The number is used to see if there is a CPP overpayment, which if one exists, the amount would be refunded or used to reduce your balance owing.