Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why, after signing up for expert help, I am now being billed for an "extra return" at a total cost of $208?

After signing up for expert help, I am now being billed for an "extra return" at a total cost of $208.

I have not signed up for Audit Defense.   I am filing as a married couple.

Thanks for any assistance.
Patrick
5 Replies

Why, after signing up for expert help, I am now being billed for an "extra return" at a total cost of $208?

If you prepare your return together with your spouse, then you will both will be using the same version of the program, and you will both be charged the same price. You can only prepare your returns in different products if you prepare your returns separately. 

If you need more help with this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

I am disappointed in that when I initially signed up for 'expert help' TurboTax knew full well that I was filing a return for my wife but only showed the ~$50 cost as being applied to one return, which is misleading.  Had I known I'd be paying $100 to answer a very specific, relatively simple question, I might have looked elsewhere.  Notably, my tax question only applied to my return, and not my wife's.    It is what it is.  TurboTax is in the business of making money, and they essentially got me to double the cost of my return this year.

The prices showing for Assist & Review and other TurboTax Online & Live products are always shown as "Per Return". If you prepare your return together with your spouse, you will always pay for two returns, regardless of what product you choose. 

TurboTax is aware at the time I added expert assistance that I had 2 returns, yet it showed a total on the screen of ~$104, not the ~$208 that I was ultimately charged.  It's misleading and inaccurate.   I understand your "read the fine print" message, but it seems to me it's more ethical to display the actual amount I'm going to pay when I add expert assist.  

We appreciate the feedback and we will be sure to advise the proper department to see if anything can be added to let our customers know that each return- will cost that amount listed- and that when they complete a joint return- that equals 2- since both needs to be filed separately. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.