Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamwiz

Why is it more expensive online this year

I have always purchased the $40 package and now this year i am told I HAVE to buy the $70 package
14 Replies

Are you trying to buy TurboTax Online or TurboTax Download and which version are you getting? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

iamwiz

I have used TurboTax for at least 5 years and always purchased the entry level package now it says because I have charitable deductions (which I do every year) I HAVE to upgrade to the $70 package. 

Please check out our TurboTax Online pricing here as you may have been using the TurboTax US instead of Canada.

Exact same thing is happening to me. I paid $45 last year for 2 returns and this time it’s $70 x 2 which is a huge increase- it’s making me do it because of charitable donations which does not make my return complicated.  I don’t understand. 

@rsutherl1 Do you have rental income on your tax return? Rental income is now only available in TurboTax Self-Employed Online.

Hi,

I have work income, children, RRSP contributions, employment expenses, and charitable donations.  This is the same scenario I've had for the past 15 years and have paid between $35-$45 to file.  Now it's $140 (2 tax returns filed together) plus tax.  It's a huge increase and as a result i don't think I'll use turbo tax going forward. 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you. They can look at the returns with you to see what is going on.

I agree with this thread. I love turbo tax, but the price hike this year was CRAZY. I am not really seeing any explanation for the price hike. Historically, I didn't consider other options, but I am going to start now. 

If you are doing more than one return you can purchase your TurboTax software from a retailer which because they purchased in bulk is cheaper to purchase from them.  

Purchase TurboTax at a retail store near you