Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bfowler

Why was my 2016 refund applied to my CRA account rather than being directly deposited into my account?

I netfilled my 2016 return and was due a refund, however it was applied to my CRA account as a credit for 2017 taxes rather than being deposited into my bank account. I have contacted CRA and a refund is being issued but they suggest that there was somewhere in turbotax where I requested it to be applied to my CRA account rather than refunded to my bank account. I don't remember noticing this. For future reference, where was the option offered?

Yours,

Brian 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why was my 2016 refund applied to my CRA account rather than being directly deposited into my account?

In TurboTax Standard (Windows) - Once you get to Netfile - it asks if  you want  to transfer your refund to your 2017 installment  account? You clicked on Yes.

Now you will be able to know where to view this next year.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

In TurboTax Standard (Windows) - Once you get to Netfile - it asks if  you want  to transfer your refund to your 2017 installment  account? You clicked on Yes.

Now you will be able to know where to view this next year.

Where do you indicate same if you are NOT using Netfile and use the Forms version to enter your data?  My experience with Easy Step  has been hit and miss.  You do not always get asked.  Therefore I want to go to the actual Form and select the option.  That way I can be sure that it has been selected.

Also for the 2021 I decided to use the OnLine version and did 3 family member's taxes and every returned indicated a refund.  When it came to the NetFile the returns the question asking if I want to transfer the refund to next years account DID NOT APPEAR.

Are you completing a TurboTax US  or a Quebec return?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

No it's an AB Tax return.  Three 2021 tax returns have been submitted.  Two had a Credit and the third one indicated a Balance owing however when the Assessment was completed it turned out to be a $1945.32 Credit.  As there was no option to indicate the option to transfer any refund to the instalment account, in ALL 3 cases,  a REFUND was issued.

There should be the option to select that option without having to meet any perceived threshold.  While the first two were sufficiently small enough to not matter, sending close to $2000 as a refund instead of transferring into the instalment account can have a significant impact  on future tax filings in regards to late filing penalties and interest charges if one was to miss the filing deadline.   The option should ALWAYS be available  during the "EASY Step" process and NOT at the "Netfile" stage.

Thank you for your feedback about having a question on the TurboTax software to give an option to transfer your refund to an instalment account.  I will pass this on to the appropriate department. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.