Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vahid
Returning Member

World Income Declaration as Non-Resident

I see non-resident S216 in Turbotax online, but I cannot find the same option in Turbotax desktop.

Eventually when you select non-resident S216, Turbotax online will provide form T1159. I searched for all forms available in the desktop product, but form T1159 was not listed.

Can you confirm that this option (non-resident s216) is only available in Turbotax online and not turbotax desktop?

You will find Non-Resident S-16 in the Provincial section of the TurboTax CD/Download. Once you go to Provincial click on get organized- Choose Non-Resident S-16 and the following pages is where you will enter your information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Vahid
Returning Member

In TurboTax desktop version, on the Provincial tab there there is an options for:

"Non-resident making a Section 216.1 election"

But I'm looking for Non-resident making a Section 216 election, not 216.1 election.

Section 216.1 is different than Section 216:

-Section 216.1 is for film and video acting services rendered in Canada

-Section 216 is rental income from real or immovable property in Canada or timber royalties on a timber resource property or a timber limit in Canada

There is no option in Turbotax desktop in provincial tab for section 216. Please verify

We appreciate your feedback I will be sure to send this to the appropriate department so that we can verify the issue. I will keep you updated.

Thank you for your patience. 

joyce7788
Returning Member

I have the same question because turbo tax website said:

If you’re a non-resident, you need to report these types of income:

• Any employment income in Canada
  • Any other Canadian-sourced income, such as scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, research grants
  • Income from a business that is located in Canada 
  • Capital gains from selling Canadian property
  • Net partnership income (limited and non-active partners only)

You don’t need to report other types of income but must enter them on your tax return in Schedule A – Statement of World Income. 

My question is why must I enter them on my tax return for the income I earned outside of Canada.

joyce7788
Returning Member

Can someone help please? I am not sure if I should enter in my world wide income in Schedule A if I am a non-resident. Thank you

We are pleased to see our TurboTax telephone support team is helping you at this time.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.