Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-employed ver. 'Setting Up': I am employed, wife self-employed. In income, it asks me what kind self-emp I do. I'm not self-emp. Can't change it. Why?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Self-employed ver. 'Setting Up': I am employed, wife self-employed. In income, it asks me what kind self-emp I do. I'm not self-emp. Can't change it. Why?

Yes there is an issue the team's working on fixing. In the meantime, here's how you can work around it.

• Enter enough information on the business summary screen so you can continue to the next screen (don't worry you'll delete this later)
  • Once you're on the next screen click the "Find" button, search and select the option for "business"
  • When you're on the business summary screen use the delete button to the right of the business that's displaying to wipe out the business associated with you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes there is an issue the team's working on fixing. In the meantime, here's how you can work around it.

• Enter enough information on the business summary screen so you can continue to the next screen (don't worry you'll delete this later)
  • Once you're on the next screen click the "Find" button, search and select the option for "business"
  • When you're on the business summary screen use the delete button to the right of the business that's displaying to wipe out the business associated with you.

Yes, you can update your profile to remove self-employment.

In TurboTax Online from the top navigation choose Setting up > Personal Tax Profile for ...

From the "Your Tax Profile Summary" screen look for Income & work related expenses and choose Edit.

Then under the question "... did you work in 2017?" scroll down & uncheck the box next to:
I was self employed (freelancer, contractor, independent worker, professional, commission-based, farming, fishing)

I did that, twice. Each time when I got to the same part it would again ask how I was self-employed.

Attached some screenshots of how to go back to the point to unmark that you're self employed. Once you've done this, from the main navigation go to "Income > Get Started" and when you step through this you should no longer be asked about Self-Employment for your return. Note that if you're filing as a joint return TurboTax will step you through both returns at the same time.

I did that, twice. It still keeps asking me how I'm self-employed when I get to that point.