Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live in a rural area, called to confirm, but it is not automatically adding the additional credit of 10%. How do I enter that information?

7 Replies

I live in a rural area, called to confirm, but it is not automatically adding the additional credit of 10%. How do I enter that information?

The additional 10% credit is calculated based on postal code and answering a few question.  What version of software are you using? Online or downloaded?

Downloaded

I am having the same issue. Using downloaded software

@sharon.service & @sheila.st.martin - Please make sure your software has all its updates and follow directives given below.  Thank you

Climate Action Incentive Credit (NB, MB, SK, ON only)

The new refundable credit has no income cap but does have varying amounts by location. If you have a spouse, only one spouse makes the claim for the family (spouse and minor children). Software does it all for you – just enter a few details on your address and family. 

Please take note- This credit is automatically applied to your tax return, based on the initial entries at the beginning, even before you enter your income and expenses. This is a Federal Tax Credit that is reflective of the province you live in.

You will be able to claim the Climate Action Incentive under the Provincial tab. 

• Under Provincial Tax Credit, if you qualify it will be there for you to CHECK the Climate Action Incentive Credit box and proceed to answer all the necessary question. 
  • If you have entered information, you have to go backward and retake your steps to ensure all entries have been made but only if you qualify. See link below for CRA eligibility.

Once that section has been completed, then the amount will calculate on line 449 of your Detailed Tax Summary Page, which is located in the Review Section of your Return after you open Bottom Line Tax summary.

Please refer to the link below from the CRA to have a better understanding of this new credit and how it is calculated.

Climate Action Incentive eligibility as per the CRA here https://bit.ly/2UEy2v1 

My postal code is a city postal code, however I do live outside the city in Rural Community.  How am I supposed to get the credit to apply?

Kept searching forum.  Found that if you go to Forms Mode, and then to Schedule 14.  You can manaully check the box for the rural 10% supp.  It will remain when returning to the Wizard mode.