Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer profiles from last year online to this year cd/download version of the tax software

Last year filed tax returns using online version and this year want to use cd/download software instead.   How do I migrate/import the profiles already used from online to downloaded software to save time?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to transfer profiles from last year online to this year cd/download version of the tax software

Unfortunately, you can’t transfer information from TurboTax Online into TurboTax CD/Download.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Unfortunately, you can’t transfer information from TurboTax Online into TurboTax CD/Download.

Is this not applicable in Canada?  This thread informs of how to do it from Intuit's own:

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to TurboTax Desktop? (intuit.com)

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to TurboTax Desktop?

SOLVEDby TurboTax2084Updated 1 month ago

Follow these instructions to switch from TurboTax Desktop to TurboTax Online.

If you started your 2023 return in TurboTax Online and want to switch to TurboTax Desktop, here's how.

1. Install and/or open your 2023 TurboTax Desktop.
    • If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, select the product you need to complete your return.
    • Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s) in order to proceed.
  2. Select Continue From TurboTax Online.
  3. Sign in to your Intuit Account.
  4. Your data will be imported into TurboTax Desktop, and your return will open once data transfer is complete.

Is there any way that Intuit can make the tax file (.tt22) available to download, other than a PDF?  Seems like it would be an easy solution to make seamless continuity within the same product family and keep loyal customers.

TurboTax Online doesn't generate .ttxx files, as it's not based on the desktop software.

But I will pass on your suggestion to our product development team. Thank you for your input.

Thanks for the replies.  

So, the method that I posted is only available in the US, not in Canada?  Sounds to me like there is a solution already, just not extended to Canada.  Is that correct?

The Canadian versions of TurboTax Online and TurboTax CD/Download are different software from the US versions, so we can't just use what they have. 

DanH6

This should be  a basic feature. After all we pay for the software (CD version)

@DanH6 I will pass on your comment to our product development team. Thank you for your input.

Turbotax seems to be holding OUR Tax info hostage. I should be able to download a file that your software requires using your own product.