Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to transfer my tuition credit to my father but the system says the federal/provincial amount available to transfer is $0.00. Box 26 from my T2202 is $1,810.97.

1 Reply

I'm trying to transfer my tuition credit to my father but the system says the federal/provincial amount available to transfer is $0.00. Box 26 from my T2202 is $1,810.97.

Thanks for reaching out to us. If the student has a taxable income, he/she will have to use the tuition amount to reduce their taxes to zero first before they are able to transfer any amount to their parent.

To transfer the unused tuition amount, the interprovincial transfer rules have to be taken into consideration because some provinces have eliminated their provincial tuition amount. 

The student has to calculate the tuition amount needed for their tax calculation on schedule 11 on their return and use the same schedule to calculate the amount they can transfer to their parent.

The following link has the most commonly asked questions regarding the student tuition amount:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/family-education/help/frequently-asked-questions-abou...