Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My child's bottom Line Tax summary shows that $1,666 can be transferred. But my return only allows me to transfer $1,388. What's going on?

The tuition is $1666 for 4 months from September 2017-December 2017. So I am only claiming federally not provincially, since Ontario transfers are only eligible from Jan-Sep 2017.
2 Replies

My child's bottom Line Tax summary shows that $1,666 can be transferred. But my return only allows me to transfer $1,388. What's going on?

How much tax did you owe before the transfer? You can only use tuition to reduce your amount payable. So if you only owed $1388 before the transfer, you can only accept $1388, even if the student can transfer more.

No, that's not the case, I still have tax owed.  If I raise her tuition fee amount to $2000 (from $1666 then turbotax lets me transfer $1666. The max transferrable seems to get capped to less than the tuition fees for some reason.